Friday, May 15, 2009

Thoughts from a discouraged blogger

There are 33,800,000 matches for the phrase I haven't blogged in a long time on google. It was hilarious to read link after link of people's excuses for why they have not been a dutiful blogger. I'll refrain from using the worn-out phrase to state the obvious so that I too do not become a google statistic.

I am a discouraged blogger for many reasons:

1. So many things happen that I want so desperately to creatively capture, archive, and share. I feel farther and farther behind as more and more days go by, each with stories and lessons to write about. I fall into the trap of ALL OR NOTHING, and am paralyzed by the mediocrity.

2.I used to be at home with a computer all to myself. I now have to share the computer with Colby who has legitimate work to do on it all day.

3. I am a perfectionist when it comes to writing my thoughts. It takes time, energy, and creativity that has been low in supply but high in demand lately.

4. Does anyone still read blogs anymore? Maybe this is just a passing fad and there isn't much interest anymore. For example, there seems to be a blog-like feature on facebook and I wonder if that is a better way to keep in touch?

5. Right now, in our apartment, everyone is telling me how I need to blog because it's been so long, but when I sit down to do it, there is too much noise to concentrate! (Yes, I am high-maintenance. I need time, energy, silence, and a full tummy to be at peak blogging performance).

6. I wish I got paid to blog. I've only ever heard rumors about this, but don't know where to begin to look or even if I should.

I know that having a blog in our situation is good for keeping in touch with friends and family, so we will keep trying! Still no word on the VISAs, but my parents are here from WI and we are having fun in the meantime.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please keep blogging Annie....I actually print out all my blogs and keep a journal to some day look back on....It is funny how many comments on why people haven't blogged in a while. I didn't know you were such a perfectionist....but that just makes you more awesome. I am still praying for you guys and the VISA's...No I don't think Blogging is a passing fad...I have been doing it for about 3 plus years now and tons of my friends and relatives and strangers still faithfully blog...and I don't just follow fads...I just like to write...I am like you too where I think of things to blog about all the time...I am thinking of carrying a journal and writing down my ideas or memories and then blogging them later...If blogging disappears - I am still going to journal....Anyways, I wish you well. I read that it was your birthday and your mom's...I will sing to you now - Happy Birthday to you...Happy Birthday to you...Happy Birthday dear Annie...Happy Birthday to you. ANd many more!!! Tell your mom Happy Birthday too. Tell your dad hi...and the kids and Colby hello too! Have a fun weekend! Love you.

MelissaSnider said...

I check your blog everyday! I am so selfish though, I want you to blog because I want to know what is going on in your life, but I don't blog. I feel guilty. I am just not a writer..

VeronĂ­ka said...

Ditto what everyone else is saying. Please don't quit blogging. I enjoy reading your blogs and check for updates often. Facebook, smacebook. LOL, I think you should keep it here! Anyway, that is my two kronur.

Veronika

Jonathan Burke said...

I rarely post on here.. if ever... but i will let you know that i read this everyday... even go back a read old ones you have posted to laugh. you guys are hard to get a hold of and with the time difference and everything, it is truly the only way that i get to see/hear hilarious stories from what I deem, "THE GARMAN FILES"... tell Mulder that his legit work can wait so we can enjoy this! as far as blogging for money... i have heard of that and my friend knows someone who does it... i'll see what i can find out.

Kendra said...

Annie, I love reading your blog! It's always so entertaining, and makes me laugh out loud while sitting at my desk - so my coworkers think I'm crazy. Can't beat that!