Sunday, May 8, 2011

Pros of Homeschooling: Part 4

I've alluded to this in other posts, but I have found a huge advantage of homeschooling is being able to determine what curriculum* my children spend their day studying and discussing.  During our unit on Egypt, many questions came up about death and the afterlife.  I was thankful that I was able to direct the discussion on these difficult matters, point my kids to the Bible for answers, and freely point out the wrong thinking of our ancestors (Don't be tempted to call me narrow-minded...Do YOU really think our ancestors in Egypt went to eternal joy in the afterlife if--and ONLY IF--their dead heart weighed the same as a feather?!).

During the Advent season, we spent time learning the Christmas story and during Lent, highlighted the significance of the Easter.  I know many Christians who do a good job teaching their kids and instilling in them Christian values even though they are in public school.  That is not the point.  I'm simply observing, after home-schooling for the first time, that it is a big advantage to be in control of your curriculum.

*The curriculum we chose this year:
Sonlight: Language Arts and History
MathUSee:  Math
Random books from Tracee Pelt:  Science and Social Studies

2 comments:

Beth Anne said...

Annie, I'm sold! Homeschooling sounds amazing! I never really considered it until this last year, when Chris and I decided adoption would be our first route to having a family. Down the road, we hope to adopt older children, and I think homeschooling will be the best way to forge a strong attachment with them and teach them about our world from God's perspective. As someone who has always loved learning and loved school, I hope to instill that excitement in my children as well. Looks like you are doing an amazing job!

Here we go... said...

Annie, We use Math-U-See LOVE it!!