Friday, February 13, 2009

Finally, the real blogging has begun...



That was Colby's title for this post. Okay, it's time for Annie's perspective on our first week here. Let me start out by saying, flying IcelandAir is quite the experience. Everyone has their personal touch screen t.v. where you can select a variety of t.v. shows, movies, documentaries to watch. I watched Heima which was a documentary of Sigur Ros and his free summer tour around Iceland in 2006. It nearly brought me to tears...the videography was so moving and it made me stand in awe of God and His creativity in making this wild country. (Andres had an extra cd; I am now a raving fan....if only I could figure out what they are saying. Hopefully they are not singing about killing their mothers or doping). Needless to say, I was disappointed when the plane landed because I didn't get to see the other documentaries that looked equally as riveting.

Going through the airports and getting here was so easy....almost too easy. Colby pushed two carts of luggage, and I pushed the new double stroller with my finger with five carry-ons in tow. I kept waiting for something to go wrong--the plane to re-route to Scotland, the man in front of me to whip out a gun, the kids to finally catch the flu bug and vomit everywhere. Instead, the girls were great and the flight was turbulence-free. Going through customs was so strange. We just rounded the corner to find two men who were relaxing, leaning against the wall with their arms crossed. They didn't even move when we walked up to them. I felt uncomfortable, like I was interrupting their conversation or something. They looked at our eight suitcases with furrowed brows, asked why we had so much stuff, and nodded for us to go ahead. Then, through the double doors to Siggi, Andres, and Lilja who were a welcoming sight.

We unpacked for awhile, napped, and had dinner at 2:30 in the morning. Mornings have definitely been rough for me. Colby has literally had to start lifting me up out of bed into a vertical position and nursing me some Earl Gray to help me wake up...by 10:00 a.m. (cut me some slack...that's 5:00 a.m. East Coast time!). I am finishing a COUN class online, which has been interesting since we didn't have internet for the first few days here. By Sunday night I had to interact on the discussion board, so we all bundled up and walked across the street to an internet cafe. Bad news: it was closed; good news: they didn't turn their internet off. There we were at 11:45 p.m. sitting outside the cafe on the icy sidewalk, me--trying to type quickly with numb, freezing fingers-- and Colby--stuffing the kids with pretzels and My Little Pony gummies--all the while trying to hurry me along. In the end, it all worked out and I was able to post by midnight.

I'll close with a few pictures of the apartment (a.k.a. the art gallery).

4 comments:

Jason and Heather said...

Hey Annie-I feel your pain about getting out of bed. I STILL have issues getting myself out of bed by 9:30 am. Thinking of you guys, glad you're finally there!!

Anonymous said...

Annie Brogan - I giggle so hard when I read what you wrote about your expectations of what would happen on the plane - the guy whipping the gun out; throwing up; etc....

I love how soft your heart is when you talk about the documentaries you saw and how you cried. I am like that too. When I drove the first time by a mountain I BAWLED thinking of how God made everything so flawless and beautiful and how just creation itself is amazing.

I was going to tell you that I am also doing Liberty online classes. I love them so much. I am really enjoying the Church History class. SO informative...and the creation class called History of Life...SO AMAZING..I really liked Dr. Canner's worldviews class too...I am learning so much...

You should check out this book - Loving God with all your mind...Its amazing...

I am having a much better day today...You made me smile with your blog...

Can you guys post a link for the apartment video you made that you posted to facebook? I was telling my dad about it and I know he and church members would love to see how you were doing...and your girls are so adorable and cute - I couldn't stop talking about it...Oh I love the pictures....

Did you guys go swimming like you said in the video??

Sorry this is so long. You know me! BLAB BLAB!! I am so happy you are in Iceland!! I am praying for you.

HUGS and love,

Carrie (Sella)Johnson

MelissaSnider said...

I love Sigur Ros! I would love to hear all about the documentary.

Josh and Jadey said...

We are glad to hear you guys are adjusting somewhat well. I remember how I felt upon arriving in Iceland. I wanted to sleep forever. I am so bummed. Iceland Air did not have touch screen TV's when we came over. I had to share a little tiny one 5 feet away with Josh and a very large Icelandic man that smelled like gasoline! How things have changed... We are praying for you guys.

Josh and Jadey